Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Letter from Jerry

For this week's blog, I simply want to share with you a letter I received recently from former State Representative Jerry Birmelin.  Jerry was the former chairman of the Pro-Life Caucus, was Sam Rohrer's Northeast Coordinator and is a committed Christian. Like Sam Rohrer, Jerry was one of the "good guys" in Harrisburg.  I'll let the letter speak for itself.  

Dear Friend  ....   it's been a long time since you heard from me on matters of a political nature, so I am going to ask you to indulge me a little as I share some thoughts with you concerning the Nov. 2nd choices voters in PA will have. This email is the first of 3. I will share some thoughts with you today about the Governor race and in the next few days, the 10th Congressional and US Senate races.

As you know, I was a strong supporter of Sam Rohrer for Governor and was very disappointed by that loss. There are some good intentioned folks who are continuing that battle by asking people to write in Sam's name in November, but I would caution against doing that. Sam doesn't support that movement either, as we both know that it will only benefit the Democrat nominee, Dan Onorato, who is not as good a candidate as Tom Corbett.

I am encouraging you to vote for Tom Corbett because he is the better of the two men running. I am attaching a recent survey result (from the American Family Association) that compares these men on some very critical issues. While Onorato doesn't appear to be the flaming liberal Democrat that we usually see, he still, in my opinion, is not as conservative as Corbett. When you add the consideration that Onorato would use the office of Governor to support Obama and all the state and Congressional Democrats and raising money for them, he would be a bad choice.

I have carefully watched Tom Corbett as he campaigned after the Primary to see if he would pull to the center, as many GOP candidates often do, but he hasn't. Even in light of the criticisms he has taken for his anti-tax raising position, he has held firm. That is impressive. He will face a very difficult situation if elected when it comes to the state's fiscal mess, but the answer is not to raise more taxes. His social positions are conservative, as you will see in the survey.

Dan Onorato & Hillary Clinton
We are hearing a lot of pundits talking about a "wave" election in favor of Republicans, but it is really about people expressing their dissatisfaction and even anger about what Democrats have done to us in D.C. If Republicans do gain majorities this year, they better produce the results that people want, or they will only be in charge two years also.

As always, I look forward to any feedback you may have.    Jerry Birmelin

No comments:

Post a Comment